Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kindle...wireless reading device


This morning I was stoked to see that my state and federal tax returns were deposited electronically into my bank account. I did the semi-responsible thing and dedicated my entire state tax return to pay down my grad school debt...yes, Suze Orman would be proud.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to spend my federal tax return. I was lucky enough to get a sizable return back due to some great deductions (school loans, charitable gifts). One of the things I've been wanting to buy is a Kindle -- a wireless reading device that let's you download books, newspapers, and even access blogs.

I carry my life in my purse (a hulking black leather bag from urban outfitters that people constantly hit when they pass me in grocery store aisles). Back in college I used to commute from school, UW, to an internship in downtown Seattle and the only way to avoid unwanted conversation with the crazies on the bus was to bury my head in a book. That survival instinct has stayed with me and I always have a book in my purse. A kindle might be great b/c carrying a hardcopy of Mao:The Unknown Story or The Other Boleyn Girl gets hefty. Amazon is selling them for $399, which isn't bad but you have to also factor in the cost of buying the books ($9.99+). This might be like iTunes, where they trap you into buying a product and squeeze you for more for the next several years. Plus, I'm scared that if I fall asleep reading I might roll over it or push it off the bed and send it crashing to the ground--not a problem with a paperback book. Hmm, I love the concept but I'm still unsure if I should make the purchase...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails