Monday, August 18, 2008

Persuasion

Over the weekend I bought the 2007 BBC dvd of Jane Austen's Persuasion starring Sally Hawkins as Anne Elliot and Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth. Persuasion is my favorite of all Austen's novels and I've read it more times than Pride & Prejudice. I've also seen numerous times the 1995 movie starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. While that version was enjoyable, I have a problem watching Ciaran Hinds -- something about him just puts me off...perhaps it's because I found him too burly and unrefined in his role as Edward Rochester in BBC's 1997 Jane Eyre film. He also has a pervy-looking moustache in both movies (obviously, I'm not by any stretch of the imagination as eloquent as Ms. Austen).

So I thought the newer, Ciaran Hinds-less, version of Persuasion would be better. While I enjoyed the acting and setting, in this version they unfortunately chose to deviate from the true Austen ending. They have Anne running like a madwoman through the streets of Bath chasing down Cpt. Wentworth. It was a bit strange, but still a worthwhile watch if you enjoy Jane Austen.


If you have time to spare, take the Jane Austen Heroine Quiz. I've taken it once before and was Marianne Dashwood.


I am Elizabeth Bennet!


Take the Quiz here!




You are Elizabeth Bennet of Pride & Prejudice! You are intelligent, witty, and tremendously attractive. You have a good head on your shoulders, and oftentimes find yourself the lone beacon of reason in a sea of ridiculousness. You take great pleasure in many things. You are proficient in nearly all of them, though you will never own it. Lest you seem too perfect, you have a tendency toward prejudgement that serves you very ill indeed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails