Friday, July 25, 2008

Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii

The Sun reports that a Judge has ruled in a custody case to take away a girl named "Talula Does the Hula from Hawaii" from her parents. Read the article here.

I thought the kids of wacky celebrities had it bad, but apparently Apple, Denim, Pax, and Sunday Rose are lucky in comparison to poor Talula (Does the Hula from Hawaii).

As a female named after a river in the Middle East where Jesus was baptized, I feel a vague kinship to people with an unorthodox name. Growing up, the only female Jordan I heard of was Elizabeth Shue's character in the movie "Cocktail". On the 1st day of school I knew to expect teachers to look surprised when they called roll and I answered instead of a boy. I won't even try to count the number of times people ask if I'm named after the basketball legend.

Thankfully, things have changed over the past several years and there are more people naming their daughters Jordan or Jordana or some other feminine version of the name. I've accepted, however, that the name flubs will never end. For example, just three weeks ago at work an IT guy named Nelson replied to my email with "Dear Mr. Jordann". His boss had to correct him that I'm female; to which he humorously replied:


"Oops. Sorry, my bad. Did not mean to address you as Mister.
English is my 2nd language, and G--- explained that Jordann with an additional "n" is female.
If I have a daughter, I will name her Nelsonn to remind me of this moment
."

The name mix ups I've experience aren't nearly as bad, however, to what poor Talula Doing the Hula in Hawaii would have had to face if the Judge didn't have the good sense to rescue her....oy, can you imagine having to fill in the corresponding scantron bubbles to input such a name on the SAT or a tax return! Oh, the silliness of it all...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails